Re: [MV] MV Transport Help

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:49:29 -0700

JIM HENSLEY wrote:

> I am new to this forum and am considering buying a MB located in
> Illinois and will need it transported to Florida. Can anyone
> reccomend a reliable transport company? Any idea of the costs
> involved? If I rent a tow dolly will my Nissan 4 cylinder
> pick-up have a hard time pulling a jeep 1,500 miles, mostly
> interstate travel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> ...Jim Hensley
**************************

I think David's recommendations are good ones. If you do decide to use a
transport company, American Auto Transporters did a good job for me.

Transporting an MB brings a story to mind...

Way back in the mists of time, I spent a summer working at Mt. McKinley
National Park (now Denali NP) in Alaska. I bought a 1941 MB from one of
the locals and decided to haul it home with my pickup truck...not BEHIND
the truck, but IN it. We lifted the MB up on a grease rack and drove it
down a couple of planks into the bed of the truck (1957 Ford F-250).
Then we removed the rear wheels and lowered the back of the MB down onto
some boards. It was quite a load for the old Ford, but it handled
surprisingly well. Drove it all the way back to Utah (over 3,000 miles,
if I recall) with no major problems.

At that time, about 1,500 miles of the Alaska highway were still
unpaved, and I managed to get a couple of flat tires on the way down.
The truck was so heavily laden that the stock truck jack wouldn't raise
it. Luckily, both flats were within sight of a gas station (which were
few and far between back then).

When I got back to Utah, the next problem was getting the MB out of the
truck. With a chain hoist and a strong tree limb, I managed to lift the
MB until it was vertical, drive the truck out from under it, then lower
it to the ground. I guess the neighbors thought it was pretty weird to
see a Jeep dangling from the tree in front of my house, and it soon drew
the usual crowd of gawking curiousity seekers.

But kids, do not try this at home! This method of Jeep transport is not
recommended. The rental dolly sounds a lot safer and easier.

Have fun,

Alan