Re: [MV] M37 wheels (split rims)

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 23:25:09 +1200

In message <34C6EBF3.7826@InfoMagic.com>, "David C. Decker"
<campdeck@infomagic.com> writes
> why would it be easier to work with solid rims except mounting
>tubeless tires? Split rims can be fixed in the field with the right hand
>tools. Split rims do require the right training to be safe. The split rim
>can take your head off if you screw up, but doing it RIGHT is no problem.
>If in doubt, take it to a truck tire shop and have them do the repair.
>DON'T work on split rims unless you know what you are doing!!!
>We had a discussion about this a couple of months ago, if I haven't
>emptied my file, I will be glad to send you some of the pros and cons.
>Dave in Flagstaff, AZ
>M715
>M274

Hi David,

I can recall at least a dozen times when split rims could not be
seperated from the tyre, even with the most sophisticated hydraulic
equipment in workshops. We have either ended up scrapping them or
burning off the offending tyre. Drastic action to say the very least.
This brings to mind a point to remember with British Military split rims
for 900x16's. The split rim wheels for the wartime 900x16 tyres
(British and Canadian), are a different size than the post-war split rim
wheels as used on Ferret's etc. The post-war wheels have an inner
diameter dimension 1/4 inch less. The mounting bolt holes are the same,
but the splitting bolts are more numerous and differently placed. The
modern wheels (which are plentiful), will bolt straight on as a
complete wheel & tyre unit. However the tyres can be made to fit the
older wheels if an 1/8 inch is ground from the inside of the rubber
bead. This will not harm the tyre as there is more than half an inch of
rubber on the bead. Do not try to force the tyres on without grinding
this bead. I have seen an idiot put over 200lbs in a Ferret tyre in an
attempt to fit it to a CMP rim. Whilst on the subject of CMP and
tyres, one of the most difficult to obtain tyre sizes is the 900x13 as
used on the CMP F8 and C8 (and of course many other unusual British
military vehicles and trailers). I used to import into the UK all my
requirements direct from Olympic Tyres in Australia (the new name after
Dunlop Australia sold out).

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz