Re: [MV] Ring gear and pinion contact pattern questions

Lee Ethridge (leeethridge@ibm.net)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:08:16 -0600

Hi Dave and group,

I made some mistakes while measuring shims the first time. I was using
a dial gauge with a magnetic holder set up on the flat part of my bench
vise to measure differences in thickness between the original shim and
the new ones. I forgot to consider the angle of the dial gauge relative
to the work.

I sat down with a piece of paper and wrote down everything I knew (which
didn't take long 8-)) and everything I had done. Then I calibrated the
dial gauge using feeler gauges. I came up with a set of readings of the
dial gauge for various feeler gauge thicknesses that I could use for
linear interpolation to find the actual thickness of my shims. In the
process, I learned that one of my feeler gauges was wrong by several
thousandths. Whew! Life's tough without a micrometer!

I decided, based on what I'd seen in the ring gear contact patterns,
that I needed a shim thinner than the first two I tried (which were
within a couple of thousandths of each other), and thicker than the last
one (which was seven thousandths thinner). I settled on a shim
thirty-five thousandths thinner than the original, and installed it.

I was satisfied with the result, so I went ahead and completed the
assembly with that shim. I've finished painting the housing, and almost
finished installing it. I just need to get some new wheel bearings and
seals and set the axle end-play, then install the brakes.

I'll try to send a complete report to the group after I'm finished, and
after I've recovered physically. (It's pretty hard work for a
middle-aged desk jockey.)

Lee