Re: [MV] guns

James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
Wed, 21 Jan 98 08:34:48 CST

HI list!,

I have several class III MGs (live) so I try to keep up on the laws to
stay out of trouble. As far as a replica MG, in itself, it is still
metal tubing and a block of aluminum, and not a firearm.
Having said that, some states have passed laws on "toy" guns with
requirements to have the barrel obviously plugged and painted orange.
Some "counterfeit" guns from Japan were so realistic, that the import
of some were banned.

But that was for the problem of kids and cops and accidents.
Having a replica .50 mounted to a jeep or tank makes that "accident"
issue not relevant.

HOWEVER......
A Saladin armoured car owner was stopped by NJ police a few years back
when he was driving it on the turnpike. Although the MV was tagged and
licensed, it seems his son and friend were in the turret while the
owner was driving. As they were going up the freeway, the son was
tracking oncoming semis with the main gun. Word went out over the CB
radio and soon the police stopped him to give him a chewing out.
The problem was that the owner would be liable if a trucker freaked
about having a gun pointed at him and had an accident.

This issue is close to the "attractive nuscience" problem, where if a
kid comes in your yard to play on your "Army toy" and gets hurt, you
are liable, even if the kid jumps a privacy fence.

I asked some cop friends that are also reenactors about being stopped
when you have all sorts of military hardware in your possession.
Basically, if you don't give the patrolman an attitude when he comes
up to you, nothing much will happen. In fact, he may be stopping you
just to get the chance to "check out" your MV.(one of my living
history groups got a new recruit this way) Once a patrolman sees all
the rest of the trappings of a reenactor, he evaluates you as a
non-threat and lets you go.

I would be interested to here from folks on the list that are
associated with law enforcement and get their take on this.

Cheers
Jim