Re: [MV] Steering Wheel Removal???

Lee Ethridge (leeethridge@ibm.net)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:00:14 -0600

I'm becoming a strong advocate of using an impact wrench on a puller as
a result of my recent experience with a hub puller. The hub puller I
bought came with a short wrench with nubs designed to be hit with a
hammer. I ignored the short wrench in favor of a long breaker bar with
a long cheater bar (piece of pipe) on the end of the breaker bar. I
made no progress even after applying an incredible amount of torque to
the puller.

Then I decided to try the short wrench and hammer. Tapping moderately
with a 3 pound hammer for about 30 minutes did the trick. I think it
would have gone much faster with an impact wrench. (I also think I
would have broken something if I had continued with the breaker bar and
cheater bar.)

Also, I've found that K&W Knock 'R Loose seems to work better than WD40
or Liquid Wrench.

Be sure you're using a good, strong puller, and be careful. Wear eye
protection. (But, I think you must have a good one to have deformed
your top threads.)

I don't know what to say about the threads. I hope they're not so
deformed that they'll prevent removal of the wheel.

Lee