Re: [MV] RE: M211 Horsepower

Ken Weiss (kweiss@wans.net)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 02:57:45 -0600

Dave,

As far as fuel milage goes, I have never officially checked it. On a good
guess, I'd have to say brtween 8 to 10 mpg. I can go for a long time
between refills. I generally let it idle for 10 to 15 minutes before
driving and if I stop for a rest(I.E. get a soda or wherever), I'll also
let it idle.
When I first got the truck, it did use a lot of fuel but, after a good
tune-up it runs great. It turned out to be badly worn points. They were
burned to the metal and no longer good.
As far as driving at 60mph... it's quite loud and hot. I don't like running
at 55+ mph for extended periods of time. The wear and tear on drivetrain
parts is astonishing.
A diesel would be great if your not interested in preserving the historical
aspect of the vehicle. I was surfing the web the other night and found a
website that sold diesel upgrades for the M211 and several other vehicles
from that period. I forget the company name but, I think it was listed in
the search of Yahoo.com of M211+military+vehicles. They sell to third world
countries, who still are using older vehicles to extend their lifespan.
Also, because its a GM product, a 6.2l diesel may work with little
modifacations. I don't know the bolt pattern of that engine. A diesel would
give you more torque, power, and fuel economy.
I'll check on that website and report back.

Ken
Lone Star - M.V.P.A.
'53 XM211
'54 XM105E3