Re: [MV] Re: Underpowered UNIMOG

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 06:33:04 +1200

In message <m0xx4Wm-00045kC@fwd08.btx.dtag.de>, Andreas Mehlhorn
<a.mehlhorn@t-online.de> writes

>It is true that the Mercedes-Benz 2,2 litre petrol engine of the UNIMOG
>with its low torque and high revs is not ideal for an off road vehicle.

precisely what I have already said Andreas !

>But in the 60s the Bundeswehr prefered petrol engines. They were afraid
>of handling diesel fuel at low temperatures. That was stupid, because the
>Russians used diesel since WW2 in their tanks and it worked well, even at
>Sibirian temperatures.

What's with this 'stupid', comment ? If you served with the Bundeswher
and NATO you must surely remember the severe drawback of using diesel
powered vehicles in European winters. Although it did have a little to
do with the handling of the fuel. Great sport can be had identifying the
location of diesel powered vehicles starting their engines on a cold
morning, when they have been laying up covert for the previous 2 days.
Not only does it produce tell-tale columns of fumes, but the the long
warm-up time before there is enough power to move, meant the columns
rose very high and were visible for miles.

>Most civilian UNIMOGS came with diesel engines, which offers better torque
>at lower revs.

of course, different 'criteria'. And without the interference of
politicians.

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz