Re: [MV] Diesel vs Gas

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:27:42 +1200

In message <199801281706.SAA17485@online.no>, "Rolf S. Ask" <mud-
snow@online.no> writes

>I am not sure about this, but I do recal something about the patent of the
>diesel engine beeing German,
>and therefore the allies had to use gas. Seems stupid in a war.
>Can anyone tell anymore abouth this?
>
>Of course the transport was a important issue. One sort of fuel means one
>fueltanker.
>This is the policy for most of the armys today, but spessially for the US.
>Take a windshieldfram and it will fit more than one type of vehcile and
>more than one years production.
>Of course the question is (during WW II) would it mean less transport if
>they used both type of fuel, since the diesel has a lower consumption (A
>fuelbowser or two may be free for something else)
>
>Just some 'brainstorming' before I travel away to buld another oilplattform
>for the Northsea.
>
>Rolf S. Ask
>Western Norway

very likely Rolf. Here are a couple of other snippets on the same vein.

a/ The British optics company of 'Ross', were supplying sights for
German artillery (via Swirzerland), well into the war.

b/ The British Government passed an act forbidding the growing of
tobacco in England during the American War Of Independence. To protect
the American Tobacco Growers economy (at that time 33 counties in
England had begun successfully growing tobacco in expectation of
shortening supplies). The law was only finaly rescinded in the 1960's.

c/ In 1986 there was a company in London still manufacturing for a
British MOD contract, a respirator which had been superceeded by a newer
model some years before. After full inspection, government acceptance
and packing. They were then unpacked, shredded and burnt.

And this one will put a smile on the faces of the boys on the other side
of the pond. In the late 80's the US was looking to buy a new radio
system for it's armed forces. The British 'Ptarmigan', system was a
contender. In the final analysis the US government decided that the
system used by the British Forces, was too complicated and technical to
be able to be used successfully by the average US squadie. It must be
like pushing a jeep uphill, with that kind of faith in you from above.

regards

Colin