[MV] Re: Diesel TIGERS

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:20:25 +1200

In message <m0xxXPz-0000neC@ermail00.btx.dtag.de>, "A.Mehlhorn"
<a.mehlhorn@t-online.de> writes
>No German tank of WW2 (except some trial versions and prototypes)
>has had a diesel engine.

Yes of course Andreas you are right.

> But their own designs, the famous T34 tank
>for example, had diesel engines. And they worked well at really low
>temperatures. (up to 40 °C below zero)

Having being involved with several T34's, I can't say they worked well
at any temeperature. The Ruskies certainly achieved much during WW2
with them. There are lot's of them amongst collectors in the UK, and
they are definitely on a par with the Lada. It was an accepted fact
that the Warsaw Pact machine had an operating level above 50% for a
maximum of 3 days. If you with your radio truck were ever involved in
'evesdropping', you will remember Warsaw Pact Manouvres came to a
standstill after about three days......roads blocked with breakdowns and
the network jammed with recovery calls. I had first-hand experience, I
was in Prague in September 1968.

>My uncle was truck driver in WW2 in Russia. He told me that it took
>hours to start a convoy of the petrol powered OPEL Blitz after a cold
>night.
>
>Regards
>Andreas

On the 40th Anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge (December 1984). I
took a Dodge WC63 in convoy with the Norfolk Military Vehicle Collectors
Club to Bastogne and the Ardennes. I still have memories of the
vehicles in the snow, and the little fires lit under them before
starting in the morning.

regards
Colin