Re: [MV] Petrol vs. Diesel in MVs

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 01:27:14 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Greville <dgrev@ruralnet.net.au>
To: Skylee <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 29 January 1998 18:26
Subject: [MV] Petrol vs. Diesel in MVs

>I think this discussion could be getting a bit too focused, mostly
>the reason Petrol or Diesel was used by any particular nation or
>army was more to do with logistics than anything else.
>
>> The only diesel powered vehicles the British Army used
>> were the Scammel, Matador and Hippo.

Also:
Maudslay Militant 6-ton 4x2 GS - Gardner 4LW
Foden DG/6/10 10-ton 6x4 GS - Gardner 6LW
Armoured car AEC Mk 1 - AEC Type A 6cyl (Matador engine but raised to
105hp/2000rpm)

>As to the non-use by British forces of Diesel powered tanks,
>the Valentine has been ignored, which was in service from the
>Western Desert onwards? I don't recall ever hearing of a Petrol
>version of this tank, but suspect some of the early models were,

Valentine Mk1 only - AEC petrol
Mks 2, 3, & 8 - AEC diesel
Mks 4, 7, 9 & 11 - GM supercharged two-stroke diesel.

>Then there is the "Queen of the Desert" the Matilda II which was ever
>only Diesel (2 x AEC or 2 x Leyland).

AEC's - 174hp, Leyland 190hp.

Richard
(Southampton UK)