Re: [MV] Diesel vs Gas

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 08:46:02 +1200

In message <MAPI.Id.0016.007a6a65657020203030303630303036@MAPI.to.RFC822
>, John Edwards <ozjeep@hutch.com.au> writes
>> They produced Shermans in diesel but the army wanting to standardize as
>> much as possible sent most of these out lend lease. Remember the Sherman
>> mainly use a aircraft radial engine. In the US army they were referred to
>> as "the Ronson" after the lighter. Some Shermans had a 30 cyl. "multi-bank"
>> engine made by Chrysler. Most of these went to the UK.
>>

>> _______
>> _/_______\_
>> _/|___|_|___|\_
>> / [___] [___] \ FRANK ROBERTSON
>> /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Memphis, Tn USA
>> |w||_________||w|
>> |w|\u u/|w|
>> |w| \_______/ |w|
>> [w] [w]
>>
>> Tankdriv@gte.net
>> http://home1.gte.net/tankdriv/index.html

Hi Frank, John etc,

Often also referred to as 'The Ronson', by the British. Wasn't
'Ronson', a British lighter company in Surrey anyway ? I am not sure as
to whether 'brewing up', as it was generally called by the British. Was
of much significance to the crews, as surely wern't most killed when the
subject of a hit which caused the engine and fuel to burn. I have a
friend who survived two hits in 'Sherman's', one in the desert and one
in Normandy. He is treated as somewhat of a celebrity amongst other
vet's. I know my 'Sexton', which was also fitted with the 'Continental
radial engine', had a high risk of catching fire just on start-up.

There used to be a 'multi-bank Sherman', parked outside the shop 'Stock
Americain', about 50 miles north of Bastogne in Belgium. (Not the place
also called 'Stock Americain', near Waterloo. That was an engineless
'Chaffee', parked outside).
I thought the 'multi-bank', was 24 cyl (four 6 cyl GMC or Dodge engines
linked together in 2 banks of 2) ?

regards
Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)