Re: [MV] Tyres for DUKW

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 14:28:26 +0100

Gordon.W.I. McMillan schrieb:
> He should still be able to get Gama Goat tyres from the likes of Reomi
> in Holland. They are the same size but a reduced ply rating (6 as
> opposed to 10) which is OK if he is not planning to carry a load, I
> have seven on my DUKW.=20

Dear Gordon,

good idea to use the GAMA-GOAT tyres and reduce the permissible
total weigth and axle loads. Do you know what the permissible
loads of a 11.00-18 10PR and a 11.00-18 6PR tyre are?

As far as I know the permissible total weight of a DUKW is 9100 kgs.
Most collectors in Germany want to reduce this total weight to
7500 kgs, because up to this weight you only need the normal car
driving license. For more than 7500 kgs total weight you need the
full driving license for trucks, which most collectors don't have.

Are six tyres 11.00-10 6PR good for 7500 kgs (around 2800 lbs per
tyre)?

I know that a DUKW at 7500 kgs total weight has only a payload of
around 600 kgs, but that may be enough for collectors use. The
driving license is a strong argument here. A driving license for
trucks costs minimum DM 2500,- (around US-$ 1400.-).

Regards from ice cold Germany
Andreas
=20

=20