Re: [MV] multi-bank engine

Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netwave.ca)
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 15:12:55 -0500

--------------27F49C456DF3D13749B23082

Colin Brookes wrote:

> they were not arranged radialy, they are mounted flat on the floor base
> and linked together, but can't remember the construction of the common
> link shaft.

Colin & Dave,

>From the pictures I've seen, these individual engines were indeed arranged
'radially', but not in the sense of having the individual cylinder blocks
pointing off in all directions - they were 'ganged' vertically to fit into the
available space in the Sherman's engine compartment.

Tell you what... there's a neat little book (the title of which escapes me at
this instant) which shows a detailed color photo of a rebuilt M4A4 power pack
out of the tank; tomorrow I'll buy the book and scan the pic for our mutual
benefit. I've only glanced at it before, so I don't have detailed info on the
linkage; hopefully, we can solve this one for once and for all!

I still say that this is the quintessential Sherman to own (especially with a
Firefly turret and gun!). Imagine doing a valve job, or even a 'tune-up'?

:-)

Geoff

--------------27F49C456DF3D13749B23082

begin: vcard
fn: Geoff Winnington-Ball
n: Winnington-Ball;Geoff
org: Maple Leaf Up
adr: P.O. Box 54;;;Zephyr;Ontario;L0E 1T0;Canada
email;internet: whiskey@netwave.ca
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version: 2.1