Re: [MV] stuck piston rings

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:15:14 +1200

In message <0DEBEE4818DCD011B70200A024D43F4D031E03@c-mhs.caen.cnet.fr>,
BAUDUIN Raphael CNET/DSV/CAE <raphael.bauduin@cnet.francetelecom.fr>
writes
>Does anyone know how to remove rings which are stuck in the pistons
>without breaking them (the engine has not been unused for a long time).
>How can I see if the rings have to be replaced.
>The engine is the Ford V8 85 HP mounted in canadian universal carriers
>and Ford Canada trucks.
>Thanks.
>
>Raphael BAUDUIN
>restoring a Universal Carrier MkI*

Hi Raphael,

It's not worth putting the rings back. If they have been stuck in the
compressed position in the piston grooves for some time, they will have
lost their main feature....their tenacity.
If you clean the pistons up and get the details of any changes from the
piston head. You will be able to buy a replacement set easy enough from
Wally Wheatley at Nordian Services, Matching Green Airfield, Abbess
Roding, near Ongar, Essex. phone from France 0044 1279 876351. He has
the worlds largest remaining stock of Ford and CMP (new) spares. You
will be able to get your new head gaskets etc from him also (make sure
the engine is the original 21 stud and not a replacement 24 head stud).
I once bought a new crated rear axle complete for a canadian Universal
Carrier from him.
I guess you know how to come to the decision that it is a 'Canadian',
Universal Carrier, as against an English or otherwise ?

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz