Re: [MV] Diesel vs Gas

Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netwave.ca)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:30:51 -0500

A veritable Truism... petroleum is flammable, but petroleum FUMES are
explosive. Gasoline fumes will ignite at a much lower density than diesel - a
function of volatility, and, I suppose, the reason gas-engined tanks burn so
well - but does gas burn hotter than diesel?

GIJeeps.. I think what Wilson was referring to (of course, he was there at the
time) was a hit fatal to the tank, as opposed to simply disabling. The effects
of that hit also depend on the calibre of the weapon which fired the projectile
as well as the projectile's type, and, needless to say, where it hit. The
Sherman could not sustain a hit in the engine compartment or fuel cells without
burning, and very often, even a frontal hit by an 88 would go clean through to
the back, with predictable results. Lesser calibres or oblique impacts would
ensure the projectile staying in the crew compartment, with, more often than
not, the subsequent ignition of one or more rounds sitting in the ready racks.
Wet storage, introduced late in the war, kept down damage from the latter,
although it usually didn't help the crew.

I think the salient point is that we're talking about a tank which was too
high, had too little armour, and too little firepower; not a good guarantee of
survivability on an open battlefield! The guys who crewed those have great big
brass ones (about the same as glider troops!). I salute them.

Geoff