Re: [MV] GPW Brake pedal

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 19:52:47 -0500 (EST)

OKMTRPOOL wrote:

>Anyone have a copy of Technical bulletin TB 803-8 Dec '51,
>dealing with a fix for excessive side play in the jeep brake
>pedal arm? How can this condition be repaired?
>What parts are involved?

I am not familiar with that TB, but I just repaired the brake pedal
side-to-side wiggle on my M38 successfully last night. The mechanism looks
the same as the one shown in my book for the MB, so it should be much the
same on your GPW.

In my case, the source of the wobble was two-fold: first, there was
excessive wear on the bearing surfaces between the brake pedal arm (WO-A1386
or GPW-2452) and the clutch/brake pedal shaft (WO-A495 or GPW-2473). Second,
one of the two washers that fit on either side of the brake pedal arm on the
shaft was missing.

I was initially going to replace only the brake pedal arm. Army Jeep Parts
here in Pennsylvania has M38 brake arms (WO-800527) on sale for $25. But as
I placed the order I decided that the shaft may be worn too, so I ordered a
shaft as well (same as MB/GPW: WO-A495). And when I got it apart I found
the shaft was indeed deeply worn.

Thanks to the close quarters, I had to take the shaft-to-frame bracket
entirely off. It was a greasy job with stuff falling in my eyes -- typical
automotive work! I did not have the missing shaft washer, but I was able
to move the one that normally resides next to the cluch pedal arm over to the
brake side -- the clutch arm can snug right up to the shaft bracket and it
looks like it will get along without it fine.

Watch out for the small semicircular metal "key" that positions the clutch
arm on the shaft -- I think this is called a Woodruff Key -- it would be easy
to lose when taking the assembly apart and easy to knock out when putting it
back together.

Ahhhh... the brake pedal feels nice and solid now....

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com