Re: [MV] Re: multi-banks

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:24:43 +1200

In message <34DE6B3D.908EAD5C@netwave.ca>, Geoff Winnington-Ball
<whiskey@netwave.ca> writes
>Colin,
>
>Was the old propensity radial aircraft engines had of shedding cylinders
>(once you were safely out of gliding range of any airstrip) shared with
>radial tank engines? Just curious.

Most problems encountered seem to be mainly on start-up from cold.
Considering the environment they were asked to work in (tanks instead of
aircraft), I think they did a great job. The mass produced Sherman and
it's derivatives (US and Canadian) in the hands of operators from all
partners of the Allied Forces, performed with distinction against Axis
tanks often described as being 'the perfection of tank development and
advanced engineering techniques'.

regards

Colin