RE: [MV] M211 Front end vibration

Robert H. Clugston (robert@csnsys.com)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:39:52 -0800

I had a similar problem with my 82 VW rabbits. It would shake badly if you
went above 50mph. I almost killed myself when I hit a bumpy patch on the
Long Beach Freeway. It also turned out to be the tires which looked o.k.
(they weren't the best tires but they also weren't the worst.)
robert@csnsys.com
-----Original Message-----
From: Winne, Jim [SMTP:jwinne@nettally.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 1998 3:11 PM
To: M2116X6@aol.com
Cc: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: Re: [MV] M211 Front end vibration

Hi Jim,

I don't know much about M-211's but I had a similar problem with my 78
Datsun pickup truck. The front end didn't seem to have a problem until I
hit 63 mph or hit a bump on the road. It would shake so violently that I
had to slow down to about 30 mph or lose control of the car. It turned out
to be a set of tires that were out of round (about 1/8"). I couldn't
afford to replace them as they were nearly new and the dealer would not
make good on them so I was left with two options. I could have them trued
(which would cut 1/8" of wear off of them!), or I could have a steering
damper installed (which I did) and it solved the problem. You can get one
at any off road store for less than $100. I hope this is of some help.

Jim MVPA #17216 1967 M-715 cargo truck

----------
> From: M2116X6@aol.com
> To: mil-veh@skylee.com
> Subject: [MV] M211 Front end vibration
> Date: Thursday, February 12, 1998 11:43 AM
>

> Has anyone with either a M211 or M135 experienced the famous
> "211 shake" ? This occurs when you hit a bump with one or both of the
front
> wheels while traveling about 35 mph. or more. Once you hit the bump the
> steering wheel will start to shake violently side to side. The only way
> stop
> it is to slow down below 30 mph.
>
> I have spoken to other owners of these trucks. Some have them same
problem,
> but have not been able to find a cure.
>
> We have tried many different things to find an answer, but nothing works.

> First, the front wheels were balanced. Then we swapped them with two
other
> wheels from the rear. Then I had the front end checked over by a truck
shop
> twice. Everything is tight. We have experimented with different tire
> pressures.
> The best results occur with lower pressures but even with the pressure
down
> to 25 psi., I only gained about 5 mph. more before the problem starts.
Anyone