Re: [MV] Moving a dead 2 1/2 ton

Ken Weiss (kweiss@wans.net)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:46:21 -0600

Lone Star - MVPA
53' XM211
54' XM105E3
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cole <DA_Cole@compuserve.com>
To: MV List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 1998 18:33
Subject: [MV] Moving a dead 2 1/2 ton

What's the best way to transport a dead 2 1/2 ton truck? If I buy one in
southern Indiana, I have to transport it about 170 miles. The towing
company wants 400-$425 to make the run with a flatbed rollback truck.
He's got a 30K lb winch so loading should not be a problem. Has anyone
ever used a tandem or triaxle gooseneck trailer to move a 6x6. Has anyone
ever rented a such a gooseneck trailer? What about flat towing with
another truck and a towbar? I assume the drive shafts would have to be
disconnected. Any creative ideas, take it apart, move it, put it back
together?? (Hey, I've done crazier things!) I've got a crane good for
about 2500 lbs, what if I took off the bed and 4 wheels, would I be down
around 10 K lbs then??

I've got a tandem trailer good for about 10K pounds but a 6x6 is more like
12-13 k lbs I believe.

Any crazy ideas considered.

Dave

=