Re: [MV] Quad Gun Tractor?

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 07:18:58 +1200

In message <3.0.1.16.19980304230959.38d76cde@mail.int-usa.net>,
Christopher Dudley <flyrod@int-usa.net> writes
>Hello!
> I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the British Commonwealth
>Forces
>Quad Gun Tractor, which was produced by the Canadian division of Ford?

Hi Chris,

The 'British forces', used several makes of quad gun tractors made to
the British specification. The most common is the Morris Quad. There
are still a few CMP Ford ones around in Europe. They make a nice
display complete with 25 pounder and limber. In the early days of MV
restoration, some collectors mistakenly thought they could get away with
just towing the guns around without the limbers (limbers were always
harder to find than the guns). They found the load easier to pull as
well as negotiate traffic.....they forgot about stopping !

>They are pretty cool vehicles, and have a V-8 Ford engine, as well as a
>winch built into the transmission that works in the front or the rear!

An arrangement common on British Gun Tractors viz Matador, Militant etc.

>have a model by Tamiya that I am building of one right now, and that is how
>I became interested in them. I have much information about them that was
>part of the model kit, but I wanted to know if anyone knows any info about
>them on a "today" sort of level, like has anyone ever seen one???
> Thanks!

Apart from many European shows, there are always a number of them at
'Beltring', each year.

>Christopher Dudley
>flyrod@int-usa.net

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz