[MV] British Military Bicycles

tcb (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 19:07:40 -0000

> You may be the person to shed a bit of light on an area that seems to
>be all dark; BSA Military Bicycles. ....Haveyou ever run across any sort of
a "paper trail" on them? (manuals, etc) I've read a few references that lead
me to think that the WWII British
>Army just didn't have the amount of paper printed on it's vehicles that the
>US Army did. Can you make any comments??

Hi Nelson

Nice question - so far I've never come across any paperwork relating to
British Military Bicycles - perhaps it was widely thought that people know
how to ride bicycles and repair them etc... such that no manual was
required... perhaps you only got one if you could ride one - unlikely
stabilisers would have been provided. That said though, the British Army did
produce a variety of other manuals for some really obvious things so perhaps
there's one out there somewhere.

I've crashed throught my MT admin guide and whilst mention is given to
Trailers, Flail Tanks and Motor Cycles - there is no mention made relating
to the supply, storage, issue, use, damage claims etc for a Military
Bicycle.

It does however make reference to an ACI or AO Bicycles - Issue of, Number
1752/43, Subject ECONOMY.

The extract is as follows:

Section 9.4 Use of Transport between quarters and place of Duty/Messing:

Conveyance of Army and WRAC personnel who live in official quarters or
billets permitted with the authority of GOC in C, as follows:

a) ....
b) ....
c) Bicycles may be issued if a deinite saving in the use of WD transport
will be affected (1752/43)

I guess the only step I can advise is you try to track down Army Order
1752/43, ECONOMY, Bicycles - Issue of.

Perhaps the Imperial War Museum in London may be able to advise, or the
Public Record Office in Kew, London (I think they have a web site).

I hope this is of some use - it would appear that MT administration in the
1950's doesnt concern itself with this mode of transportation.

I will keep an eye out whilst touring the Militaria fairs in the UK - If
something comes up - I'll drop you a line

Regards

Tim Bell