[MV] Russian Army Motorcycles warning

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 21:22:32 +0100

Jeffrey R. Granai schrieb:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I just purchased 3 1953 motorcycles that were released from the Russian
> army. These bikes are still at my office in Poland and I am in the proces=
> of shipping them. They can all be viwed at
> www.masterpage.com.pl/jeff/bikes.html.

There were some Russian Army motorcycles offered to the list members.
If anyone is interested, here my little warning:

Never buy a vehicle from Eastern Europe, before you haven't seen and
driven it! Never buy after you've only seen a photo or a video!

99.9 per cent of the vehicles from Eastern Europe have very high
mileages on the clock, because they were not used as collectors
vehicles but as vehicles in daily use. Note that there were no
original spare parts available for many years and so the drivers=20
had to take other parts to keep the vehicle running. Pistons and
valves from east european cars and other bearings were usual. The
problem is, that they often damaged the original housings to fit
the non original parts, so you can't bring them back to the
original state.

So pay extra attention and be extra cautious if you want to buy
a vehicle from behind the former Iron Curtain. Look, look, look=20
and make a hard test ride. =20

If everythings is ok, you can buy it, if not, hands off!