Re: [MV] M37 Carb Probs

Rob Root (root99@earthlink.net)
Sun, 08 Mar 1998 14:32:01 -0800

I second the regulator advice, but you didn't mention what was done with
the original mechanical fuel pump. I have an electric fuel pump near
the tank on my '33 Plymouth (very close to the M-37 as far as engine).
The mechanical pump is still between the electric pump and the carb, and
seems to act as a sort of regulator to keep fuel pressure from getting
too high. BE CAREFUL THOUGH! A bad diaphragm on the mechanical pump
could result in raw fuel being pumped into the crankcase where the
mechanical pump attaches to the block. All the local speed equipment
shops here sell small fuel pressure regulators, because the electric
high output pumps for racing have to be regulated so they don't lift the
needle off the seat in the float bowl.

Good luck. After fighting vapor lock problems on the old Plymouth for a
while, I am a big fan of the electric pump.

-Rob Root
1942 GPW