Re: [MV] West German Armor

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 19:16:57 +1200

In message <199803081934.OAA06149@miro.bestweb.net>, Fred Hopper
<centur@bestweb.net> writes
>Hello List,
> I have some questions on West German Armor. I have 4 vehicles that are
>post WW II. They are smaller than, yet similar to the M-114 series American
>APC. One has a turret that would house an 20mm gun, the others just have
>hatches that have .50 BMG mounts. Any ideas?? They are powered by the Rolls
>Royce B50 series engines.
>Thanks,
>Fred NY

Hi Fred,

Sounds like you have four British FV432 (Trojan's).

If they are, they were introduced in West Germany in 1962 and have 240hp
Rolls Royce opposing two-stroke multi-fuel K60 engines. The mounts are
for the GPMG (Jimpy).
I can't imagine what would have been in the Turreted version around 20mm
size, I would have thought a 30 cal would have been fitted, after all
they are only an APC !

The prototypes (FV430) had a Rolls Royce B81 engine fitted.
(You are on a bum steer with your B50 comment Fred).

regards

Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz