Re: [MV] M37 Carb Probs & "Viton"

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:52:26 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Bowes <Alan_Bowes@phast.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 09 March 1998 17:14
Subject: Re: [MV] M37 Carb Probs

>Newer Viton-tipped float needle valves are alcohol resistant and will work
fine with oxygenated fuels. You can get one at NAPA (NAPA/Echlin 2-3516).<

Hi List,

I'm getting near to being well off topic but the reference to Viton from
Alan rang a bell.

Viton and other modern high temperature "rubber" components are almost
magical in their uses but a serious word of warning, if very overheated,
like an engine/vehicle fire, and the material is decomposed, looking crispy
and brittle, it will produce hydrofluoric acid as I recall.

If touched in this state the acid will dissolve human tissue and bone very
readily, the only medical cure is AMPUTATION to arrest its progress.

There may or may not be these parts in older MV's but some replacement O
rings etc., could be of this material; modern vehicles are full of it
including heater air ducts and the like.

At least two cases of enforced amputation, to my knowledge, have made
national news here with the appropriate warnings:

A stolen car subsequently torched by the joy-riders was picked over by the
owner and a marshal at a club motorcycle race meet who helped clear a burnt
out bike, the "rubber" carb headers (manifold) so commonly used (especially
in Jap fours) did the damage; both people are missing fingers now.

If this unusual hazard is well known, great; if not you know when to reach
for the gloves!

Sorry for veering off course but life is a lot easier with a full
complement of fingers and thumbs.

Richard
(Southampton UK)