Re: [MV] camoflauge paint

mtowers@netxpress.com
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:25:45 -0600

Joe Baker wrote:

> As to how to paint a camoflauge paint scheme on a vehicle, I can only
> relate the way we did in all of the units I have been assigned to (1/2
> ACR, 161st Inf, and the 160th Inf). The color scheme is transfered by
> eye onto the vehicle using chalk, labeling the polygon with the desired
> color, drawing the pattern onto the vehicle. Each polygon is assigned a
> color and then the troops are given the paint and brushes and instructed
> to transfer the appropriate color to the appropriate polygon on the
> vehicle.
>
> The patterns are configured to break up the edges and shapes of the
> vehicle. For example if there is a straight set of lines on the hood
> and fenders of a vehicle, the color patterns are laid out to cross the
> lines of the hood and make the hood appear to be irregular shaped.
> While the manuals have patterns, the actual pattern tends to reflect the
> desires of the commander or the motor officer of the particular unit.
> Paint jobs were usually performed at the Company or Platoon level and
> often done at least once a year or two, depending upon the wear and tear
> of the vehicles.
>
> Some units such as the 2nd ACR painted their vehicles in the dual
> texture scheme in the late 70's so the scheme you paint would be depend
> upon the unit that you are depicting.
>
> Also in the winter, we in Europe in the late 70's would white wash the
> vehicles with a water soluable white wash for field problems. Later we
> would wash the white off but often it would leave a white residue until
> the next regular paint job.
>
> Joseph Baker
> Major, Infantry, USAR
> Formerly of the 1/2 ACR
>
> ===
Thanks, Joe. Good advice. There are plenty of motorpools in my area,
west of Ft. Sam in San Antonio. However, none there seem to enjoy our
hobby--busman's holiday I guess.
Otherwise, I would find a G.I. who could use a couple of bucks to do the
job. (I would supply facility, tools, and paint, of course. Uncle might
frown on painting civilian owned vehicles!)
Please let me know if you think of someone who fits the bill in my area.
Mike T.