Re: RE [MV] Vehicle gradability

Ken Weiss (kweiss@wans.net)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:21:05 -0600

Steve, List,

I have a question about vehicle gradeability. I own an 1953 XM211 and
according to the manual, the maximum grade is 60%. A friend of my that
happens to be an electrical engineer says that the 60% grade is based on a
45 degree incline. Example, 90 degrees would make a right triangle because
you wouldn't be driving straight up, you would actually be driving up the
hypotenuse which is actually 45 degrees. Are you still with me? O.K. now
that your driving up the hypotenuse, which is 45 degrees, you would take 60%
of 45 and get 27 degrees. Am I correct to say this? However, this sounds
like a low figure to me. I once took a trip to the Talladega Speedway in
Alabama. The tour included several laps around the oval. The tour guide said
that the turns were banked at 33 degrees. He also stated that it required a
speed of 85 MPH to stay on the turn, otherwise you'd slide off. We drove on
the very bottom of the turn, on the flat part. We were in a ford van and I
looked out the window and could not see the top of the turn. I looked so
steep, as if you couldn't even walk on it.

Now, that I'm thinking. If the legs are of different lengths then wouldn't
the slope of the hypotenuse change, thus making the hypotenuse shallower or
steeper? Therefore, you could get an infinite number of slopes. Maybe some
one out there can answer these question.

Ken
53' XM211
54' XM105E3
Lone Star M.V.P.A.