Re: [MV] M-151 in gov't service

Randy Orpe (sgtorpe@sierranet.net)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 07:57:32 -0800

I'm told the Special Ops people still have a few of the 1/4 tons lurking
around. An SF friend tells me that the HMMWV is rather difficult to load on
a CH-47 ( you have to pull in the mirrors and, depending on the model the
driver remains, in the vehicle ) and you have to be really slow and
careful. This precludes the hit the ground running " Rat Patrol" type of
operations that these guys are fond of. The Marines, being the frugal bunch
they are, have a bunch still in storage they haven't purged yet. You watch,
somewhere somebody is going to decide they need a 1/4 ton 4x4 and a new
contract is going to be let.

I was up toward 6500 feet last weekend. The 151 doesn't plow through more
than about 12 inches of snow without difficulty. Got gloriously stuck and
spent about two hours digging out. ( Good PRACTICE, and makes you humble ).
I can't figure out why no one wants to go out and play with me anymore.
Took the 813 up the next day, it will handle 2 feet of fresh snow but
started bogging down when it started hitting drifts 2 1/2 to 3 foot deep.
Turned around at that point, already did my stuck for the year the day
before and, ain't no one going to be able to get up that far to come and
get me.

So now I get to clean up the mess and PMCS ( Park The Mother and Call The
Shop ??? I don't think so!!!!! )

> From: RobRatt <RobRatt@aol.com>
> To: mil-veh@skylee.com
> Subject: [MV] M-151 in gov't service
> Date: Sunday, March 29, 1998 9:26 PM
>
> Hi Guys!
>
> Just thought I'd drop everyone a note and let them know that the U.S.
Army