Re: [MV] insurance and MV's

Cliff Dahl (wrcc@rapidnet.com)
Sun, 05 Apr 1998 21:51:26 -0600

At 09:41 PM 4/4/98 EST, you wrote:
>Knowledgable listers,
>
>In my efforts to get my M211 paved road legal I have hit a snag finding a
>company to insure it for less than the cost of the truck itself. Anyone got
>any helpful hints or referal?
>
>Brian
>54 M211

Brian:
There was quite a bit of discussion on insurance on this list some time
back. At the time, I had all my vehicles covered, but due to computer
breakdown, never responded to the list with my information. I just dug it
out, so here goes:
I have my M2A1 halftrack covered for $68.50 per year, my M38A1 for 41.00
per year, and my M211's for $33.00 each per year. The coverage includes
liability, medical, uninsured motorist, theft, comprehensive, and collision.
There are some rules however. Vehicles must be garaged, can't be driven
over 2500 miles per year, must be used primarily for parades, club
activities, exhibits, or occasional usage. You may not race them, and they
may not be altered from original condition. Vehicles must be at least 25
years old.
I have a good agent, who did the research and found this company for me.
He had to come and take pictures of all vehicles to send to the company (He
suggested that I remove the 50 cal and 30 cal machine guns from the
halftrack before he took the picture). I was concerned that when the
company saw the tracks on the halftrack, it would refuse to insure me, but
they issued the policy and the insurance cards that must be carried with
the vehicle. I do have all these vehicles licensed so they are "street
legal" here in South Dakota.
The name of the insurance company is The St Paul Mercury Insurance Co.
Address is 385 Washington Street
St. Paul, MN 55102-1396
Hope this helps.

Cliff Dahl