Re: [MV] MB i.d. numbers

Rob Root (root99@earthlink.net)
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 21:54:08 -0700

Bob:

I was curious to know if you had received any additional information on
your engine number. My 1942 GPW has a similar engine number:
441-50667. I have two conflicting explanations as to the odd engine
number. One is that the engine came out of some type of ground power
unit, and hence does not have a number resembling the MB or GPW
numbers. The other possibility is that the engine is from a pre-WWII
Willys automobile. I have a 1955 Motors Manual, which states that the
1941 Willys automobiles had engine numbers starting at 441-50000, which
seems too much of a coincidence. I have no idea if the military at some
time started accepting rebuilt civilian Willys engines as spares, or if
some civilian just thought a replacement engine out of a car would be
attractive to swap in because it might be less likely to have been
abused... Or is it posible that the military commandeered some residual
stock of Go-Devil engines very early in the MB production run...Anyway,
hope this info helps, and I would appreciate any further info on the
subject.