Re: [MV] 12 volt to 24 volt

Cliff Dahl (wrcc@rapidnet.com)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:13:06 -0600

>From experience, I can tell you to stay away from using the 12 volt winch
on a 24 volt system. Having owned my M38A1 for the last 26 years, it has
gone through many changes from original to modified with a 12 volt system
back to frame off restoration last year. When it was the original 24 volt
system I purchased a new Warn 8000# winch which I hooked up to the ground
side battery. It will work, but as stated on this list earlier, will ruin
the batteries. There are two things working against you: the first is the
size of the battery. Normally with 24 volt systems in jeeps, the batteries
don't have a large cranking amp capacity which a winch requires; second, as
the battery with the winch is used, the regulator will try to charge at a
higher amperage but in the process, overcharge the battery that is not
being used.
During the course of time that I attempted to use my winch this way, I
probably went through a set of batteries every year.
About 4 years of this was enough, so I converted the M38A1 to 12 volt
primarly to use the winch. The Warn winch had excellent power and I pulled
many vehicles and myself from some real bad places. I was using a large
capacity battery which made a lot of difference from the way it worked on
the 24 volt system.
Fortunately, I saw the light, and restored the faithful M38A1 back to
original and now have my Warn winch on a hybred CJ5 body/M38A1 running gear
& frame.
Best of luck with your endeavors,
Cliff Dahl
wrcc@rapidnet.com