Re: [MV] Diamond T wrecker

Eric Kozowski (kozowski@structured.net)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:57:59 -0700

At 08:31 PM 4/14/98 , you wrote:
>Hi gang,
>
>I need some info. A friend and I have the opportunity to purchase a
>ex-military Diamond T wrecker. The owner claims it is a 1948 model, but
>we can't find any dataplates other than the one with shift patterns
>which is mounted on top of the dash. Is there any other way to
>determine the date of delivery/manufacture? Everything about it says
>WWII to us, but we can't confirm it. Was the military still buying
>vehicles in 1948 or simply using WWII leftovers. Our theory is that the
>1948 is the year it was surplused and that is the date ultimately
>entered on the title.

Diamond T 969A wrecker. 6203 made between 1940 and 1945. Two different
cabs. Open and closed. 15,000 lb winch on front. Wrecker body made by
Holmes, model W45. Serial number located on the id plate under the hood on
the left side of the cowl and on the left front frame rail above the front
axle.

Engine was a Hercules RXC, inline six, L-head. 529 ci. 106hp @ 2300 rpm.
Zenith cast iron carb. Curb weight 21,350. GVW 29350.

Manual constant mesh trans. 5F/1R. Two speed xfer. Single dry disc
clutch. Timken double reduction differentials. 8.43:1 ratio. 12V and 6v
electrical. Top speed 40mph. Fuel: 60 gal.

>The truck is in remarkably good condition and runs. It also has good
>rubber. Overall it is original with the exception of a light bar that
>has been added. Any ideas on just how rare this truck might be and what
>its value would possibly be? The owner is asking around $5000.

Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles lists a condition 4 as $7000 and
condition 3 as $11000.