Re: [MV] Identify the Mystery APC!!!

David Desoer (dave@hwcn.org)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:43:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, ROBERT GALLAGHER wrote:

> Wheel spacing doesn't look quite right for a Piranha. Middle wheels in
> photo are spaced too far apart...
I am really new to all of this but I would observe the following:
a) it is in a shop/factory environment
b) it has few protrusions and has recently been sanded in various
places
It is therefore either under construction or it is an early 'blank'. Now,
it has the same wheel spacing as a Chzechoslovakian OT-62, the hatch opens
the right way, the angles are roughly the same etc. Could this be a
photo of an initial blank for the body? The vehicle is based on the
BTR-50PK but its body is substantialy different to indicate that the
Chzeck military had a new one designed. This would have to be really
early, though, as the final product had a more angular hull. Of course I
can't find a picture of a Pirahna in the few resources I have, so I have
no way of comparing the closeness of the guesses.

> Well, I wasn't any help,
> Bob

Neither was I, I guess,
Dave