Re: [MV] Theft Alert

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:33:55 +0100

Lida L. Bensinger wrote:

> Sorry to hear about the theft. Will keep our eyes open.
>
> Does this really say 2 jeeps still in crates? From WWII? Didn't think
> there were any.
>
> >2 x WILLY'S MB still in original packing cases, All the normal
> >stencilling on the outside but also they had 'for disposal' stencilled
> >on the cases in red paint.

They came out of Home Office Reserve Stocks about 20-22 years ago, the
buyer [who subsequently died and left them to the group in 89] got 4 and a
dealer aquantance got another 8 - as far as I know he still has them
squirreled away in his warehouse. I think in the same sale were also a lot
of Commers with kitchen bodies/water tanks which all went to scrap
unfortunately. They must have been part of one of the Home offices Relief
Columns for use in a nuke war...

This reminds me of the Firemans strike when the army had to take over and
we had to go fetch the green goddess's [Bedford RL Fire engines] we
collected ours from a set of warehouses near Andover that was packed with
Home office vehicles all waiting for a war that never came... I suppose
their all still there waiting for some other disaster to happen.

TTFN
Jim