Re: [MV] M37 Transfer Case Bearings

Paul Vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 14:05:05 -0500

Chris & Listers

Replacing the bearings & seals in the transfer case is not a big
job. Most of the hard work is getting it out. Ryan is correct on using an
impact wrench on the drive flange nuts. As for sources for the bearing &
seals, I purchased all of the bearings & seals from Berry Bearing for
under $90.00(if I remember right). You can also try BDI (Bearing
Distributors Inc), and Bearing Headquarters (I believe that mane is
correct). Look in the yellow pages for bearing suppliers. You might try
the last two & price them against Berry Bearing (Berry was bought out by
some other company & have become quite expensive in the last 6mos). Of
course the new seals will be neoprene, and not like the original leather
seals. When you reassemble the case, make sure that the shift rod bolts
(the ones that hold the shift fork onto the shift rod) are tight & SAFETY
WIRED! The reason I was in mine is that at some time it had been opened &
the shift fork bolt was not saftied, allowing it to loosen & let the fork
loose on the rod. Thus.. the transfer got stuck in "neutral" (limbo- I
know it doesn't have neutral), and then it stuck itself in low range about
30mi from home :(

Hope this helps

Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437