Re: [MV] FROZEN ENGINE/M38A1

Barber, Steve R. (Steve.R.Barber@gpc.com)
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 06:33:00 -0500

Ron,

I put WD40 in the cylinders of a Triumph engine that had been sitting in
a humid environment for about 12 years. I left the WD40 in the engine
for over a year before I tried to free it up. No luck. This engine had
had a rebuild shortly before it was parked just like yours. Anyway, I
took the head off and cut a 3.5" diameter hickory limb (for
non-Southerners hickory is a very dense, strong, hard and stranded wood.
It also is a great wood for smoking BBQ). Anyway, upon removing the
head, I noticed that cyls. 1,2,and 3 were "damp" with WD40. Cyl 4 had
about 1" of it still standing on top of the piston. I attributed this
to me possibly adding more to #4 than the other cyls. I began to hit
the hickory, alternating between the cylinders. Soon the engine started
to move. Unfortunately, pistons ,1,2 and 3 moved, but 4 did not. When
I struck #1,driving it downward, it pulled the skirt off of piston #4
(pistons are designed to be pushed upon, not pulled upon). 20/20
hindsight has allowed me to realize that the reason that WD40 was still
left in #4 was that it was the piston that was stuck. It also was the
cylinder with the intake valve open, causing it have more exposure to
the atmosphere which caused it to freeze quicker and worst than the
others.

-Steve
42 GPA
45 MB