Re: [MV] Shrinking Metal

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 23:13:51 -0700

Gary Halcom wrote:

> Has anyone tried heat schrinking metal that has been stretched like you
> see in trailer floors or fenders, hoods and cabs. It is supposed to
> reduce the amount of body filler one would use and in some cases reduce
> it completely.
>
> Whispers.......
>
> ===

Gary,

I have used this method with success on many vehicle including my 44 MB.
The best thing i can advise is to Practice, practice, practice!! This
is a lost art that you can really only learn by doing. If you don't
know what your doing you can warp the S--- out of what your working on.
Basically the idea is to heat up and area of metal red hot then strike
it sharply with a body hammer then quench it rapidly with a sponge or
damp rag. This in effect will "shrink" a dent by drawing it out. I
will not go into a long discourse on oldtime body work but suffice it to
say that you must know how to remove a dent first before trying this
method ie: bump down the ridges, then bump up the valleys, reverse how
the dent was made, etc. There is a book put out by the fairmont tool
company on old style body work i highly recomend this book to anyone
attempting to do body work on there old jeep. I will try to get more
information on the book and post it here.

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys MB
Seattle, Wa