Re: [MV] Ferret Transmission "wind up"

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 23:00:22 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas Greville <dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>
To: Skylee <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 03 June 1998 13:29
Subject: Re: [MV] Ferret Transmission "wind up"

>Ken
>
>> Okay Ferret experts! What is "wind up" and how serious is
>> non-alignment of the
>> wheel hubs?
>

>It's a bit like how long is a piece of string? . . . . . . . . . .

Hi,

I can't disagree with what Doug says, he does have a Ferret after all but I'd
make the following observations.

The Ferret isn't reputed for breaking transmission parts but you do not know
how long these parts have been in use, or the abuse given to them from a
previous owner particularly through poor servicing, just because its a
"armoured car" doesn't mean the mechanicals can be treated as such, in fact
just the reverse, they need very regular maintenance and particular attention
to the lubrication.

They are not stressed like the FV 600 series which have 50% more wheels of
bigger footprint and three times the weight on only slightly larger
components, tyre matching by circumference is important in reducing the slip
required and the various manuals essential for ensuring correct operation and
maintenance. The typical military requirement is 2% mis-match maximum and
this means a very small slippage as the wheel rotates and can almost be
handled by the flexibility of the rubber.

You could remove a pair of drive shafts making it into a 4x2 but its really
unnecessary, the weakest point in all of them including the FV 600 chassis is
the tracta joint, a very crude CV coupling allowing some longitudinal
tolerance. The tractas are under great strain and need the best hypoid oil
you can get, and it will leak. If its not leaking you either have a unique
Ferret or there's no oil in it.

Nobody seems to get worked up about dual axle trucks though, all the same
forces apply.

Richard
(Southampton UK)