Re: [MV] Directional tire directions

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 18:04:59 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Bowes <inbox@todacosa.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 05 June 1998 15:33
Subject: Re: [MV] Directional tire directions

>Here are a couple of thoughts on the V-tread issue:
>
>First, let's make sure we are talking in the same direction. When I say
>that the V is pointing forward, I mean that the POINT IS POINTING
>FORWARD WHEN LOOKING DOWN ON THE TIRE, as shown here:
>http://www.deere.com/ag/tractors/7000/7k.htm
>
>A tire with a forward-pointing V will tend to be self-clearing on soft
>surfaces as the tire slips. Consider mud, for example.

I'd totally agree with Alan although we've seen many W.W.II manufacturers
pictures with them the other way round!

>However, a drawback to the forward-pointing V is REDUCED BRAKING on
>gooey ground, where the opposite will happen. If the tire slips while
>braking, it will fill up the tread and slide more easily on the surface.
>At typical off-road speeds, this is usually not much of a factor,
>although it can get a bit dicey going down a steep hill.

This is answered by putting them the other way round on the front axle where
braking is the main load, most early war British tyres of the V pattern are
indeed side-wall moulded with two opposite facing arrows, one reads "rear
rotation", the other "front rotation".

You still see this today with bias belted motorcycle tyres that are fitted so
as to keep the plies in tension and therefore the rear, driving rotation is
the opposite hand to the front braking forces.

Richard
(Southampton UK)