[MV] Ferret's and alternatives.

Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 09:24:13 +0930

Richard

> Loosing!? We haven't lost one since Harold got an arrow in the eye in
> 1066.

Ah, selective memory! I can think of a certain colony that got a bit
rambunctious and booted you lot out. Does the name "Boston" and a
certain "Tea Party" serve as a hint?
Time to pull our heads in before we get told off!

> Steady now, a little more respect from the upside down colony is
> required,
> this is British engineering at its very best y'know.

Yeah, don't I know! Just imagine what the MV scene would be like if
the americans had standardised a 4 wheel scout car during the cold war?
No bevel boxes, no gear reduction hubs, no 2 speed generators with
there very own automatic gearbox (the generator could have one but not
the engine????), no pre-selective gearboxes, the list can go on.
The Cadillac Cage V100 etc., does not qualify as it was never
common. What I find very curious is that
they never perceived a role for this type of vehicle as the V100
and family only saw limited use, more so for airfield security
and the like. I get the impression that armed jeeps were considered
sufficient for the scout role and if something more substantial was
considered necessary then APC's took over. Considering the success
of this family of vehicles, I am not about to get into a debate on "the
list" over which school of design is right.

I think the attraction of the Ferret for collectors is it's small size
and availability.
You CAN park one in a standard garage, whereas most AFV's won't fit
comfortably. The V100 is appreciably bigger (and a lot harder to
aquire).

Regardless, the B60 in the Ferret is as close to owning a Rolls
Royce as I will ever get. So maybe they are a "poor man's roller" and
that is also a part of the attraction?

Regards
Doug

Armoured Vehicles Collector
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG