Re: [MV] DMV inspection

Rob Root (root99@earthlink.net)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 20:54:32 -0700

Joe Baker wrote:

> But the best advice is to know the law better than the inspector...
>
> The moral of the story is that many of these guys don't know the rules
> well themselves and very often think something is required when it is
> not. You need to be prepared to call them on the rules from time to
> time...

Lots of truth in this. In Washington, they allow permanent registration
with year of issue plates, so my GPW sports a 1942 WA licence plate.
Trouble is, some of our hard working men in blue are not totally
familiar with this setup. An antique car club here produced a whole
bunch of pamphlets summarizing the regs on this special registration,
which the local DMV was more than happy to pass out (after checking it I
assume). DMV recommended I keep a pamphlet in the glove box for exactly
the reasons you outline above.

-Rob Root
1942 GPW (with WA plate to prove it)