Re: [MV] M38A1 White smoke

Allan Pirie (apirie@lan2wan.com)
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 08:16:42 -0400

White smoke which quickly dissapates is steam. That could be a leaking
head gasket or a cracked block. White to blue smoke which lasts is oil.
If it happened all at once it could be an oil control ring failed/broke.
Black smoke is poorly burned gas. Stuck choke, too rich a mixture,
leaking float, bad float valve, creature in the carb throat, clogged air
cleaner, at the carb.

Plugs should look light brown to tan. Fouled black sooty is gas fouled,
black gummy is oil fouled. If it is getting water in the cylinder the
plugs could look very white and clean.

Sounds like oil control ring failed and plugs are oil fouled.