Re: [MV] Zimmerit

Hunting Tiger (jagdtiger@flashemail.com)
16 Jun 1998 01:28:49 -0000

> A question about Zimmerit, which I am sure I have mispelled. This is the
> stuff the Germans smeared on their tanks during WWII.
>
> What is the stuff made of?
> What is it's purpose?
> Why didn't the US/UK use it?

Zimmerit was mostly seen on vehicles sent to the Eastern Front. The
Soviets were heavy users of magnetic-based mines and satchel charges
which needed a relatively smooth surface to be able to adhere to.
The Zimmerit paste, while not having any form of anti-magnitism properties,
did put a rough layer of non-metallic surface area with which the
mines would not be able to stick to.

Almost all the German heavy armor and assault guns sported the paste
as they would be prime targets for tank hunter teams as well as the
paste being needed when fighting in urban regions where getting close
to the tank would be much easier, especially if the tanks were operating
without infantry support or had out-paced their supporting troops.

I'll let the following site get into more details, found on Tamiya's
modeling site:

http://www.tamiya.com/tips/tips3.htm

Best,

Ed