[MV] MG tax

Bob & Jeff Gallagher (hooterdog@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:09:29 -0000

> Can't afford the yearly taxes on a full auto just
> yet, But its alwas on my wish list.
> I have a friend with a real one and he pays $1,000.00 a year to the Gov't
for
> a full auto!!!!!

Yikes! I had no idea there was a tax! What's the story? At that rate I
owe about $15,000 in back taxes!

I have an M1918A2 BAR that I got in a deal with my 42 HD WLA back in 1983.
The gun (and the bike) have been in my folks garage since then as I am
active duty USN. I registered the gun at the local police department when
I got it but have done nothing since then. Am I supposed to be paying an
annual tax on the thing? Is this federal law?

I am not a "gun guy". The BAR and a Daisy BB gun make up my entire arsenal
of operational weapons. Only shot the gun once, just before I bought it.
I kept the BAR because my dad carried one onto the beach as a Marine at
Iwo. I got the gun (and bike) at my first duty station in Puerto Rico. No
telling what sort of laws I broke bringing it home, and now the tax-man is
after me too!

Bob