Re: [MV] Engine colors for GPW

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 04 Jul 1998 16:58:02 -0700

Saberdoc@aol.com wrote:

> Hello List
>
> Am restoring a 1945 GPW Ford. I have taken everything off and apart. Have
> sandbllasted or cleaned everything and am now putting it back together. Have
> just finished the engine and need some guidance on the correct engine paint
> scheme.
> I know that the block is Ford grey and the accessories are black, but there
> are still several questions, What color is the valve cover, theoil
> pan,cylinder block to flywheel plate,timing chain cover and water pump outlet
> on the front of the engine. Just dknow if these are part of the block or
> classified as accessories.
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>
> ===

Mike,

Not to rain on your parade, but when restoring a vehicle it helps if you
take photos and notes as to what color items are before you strip them.
Thank god there is a lot of documentation on restoring a GPW or you
would be in trouble! As far as i can recall everything you mentioned
should be painted grey with the engine. I'm sure others can correct me
if i'm wrong. I can't stress enough that when restoring a vehicle
research and patience/documentation is a must before just tearing apart
a vehicle. I don't know how many times i've heard "i just had my body
sandblasted, how do i find out what unit it was assigned too!". i'll
get off my soapbox now.

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys MB
ex-GPW owner