Re: [MV] Performance of tank-engine

Henrik Teller (Henrik_Teller@vip.cybercity.dk)
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:15:25 +0200

> This sounds like the same engine as in the twin bank diesel M3A5
> Grant/Lee. I hope the extra info here helps. Its a nice looking motor.
> Even better with synchronised clutches ! (I'd better stop I'm starting to
> sound like Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes)
>
> HP Max at 2100 RPM on output shaft 375

Hi John and list !

Confusion is complete !

In Fighting Vehicles Directory (Bart Vanderveen) I read:

M3A5 = 2 2 stroke GM diesel engines developing 210 hp each.

In Historic Military Vehicles Directory (Bart Vanderveen) I read:

M3A3 = 2 2 stroke GM diesel engines (serie 71) developing 375 hp each.

About the M4 series it says:

M4 & M4A1: Continental radial
M4A2: twin GM diesels
M4A3: Ford GAA V8
M4A4: Chrysler 30 cylinder multibank
M4A6: Caterpillar multibank diesel.

Perhaps there is different types in the 6046 series ?

Furthermore John wrote:

> Other information:
> Engine 6046 Type 71
> Type Two cycle in line
> Cylinders 6
> Bore 4.25"
> Stroke 5"
> Disp 425 cu in (about 7 litre)
> Speed 400 - 2100 RPM
>
> Compression ratio 16:1
> Comp @ 1000 rpm 500 psi
> Fire Order 1,4,2,6,3,5
> Governed Spd 29mph

I have 2 Danish books stating that the M4A2 has 310 HP. The difference
beween 210 and 310 could be a typo.

Anyone who can clear up thid mess :-))

Have a nice day :-)

Henrik Teller