Re: [MV] PT Boats gasoline

safe male (safemale@iexpress.net)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 00:23:51 GMT

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:17:40 -0700, you wrote:

>Didn't PT (Patrol Torpedo) boats have three V-12 Packard aircraft =
engines? As such, I would expect them to require 115/145 octane aviation=
fuel. I'm not aware of any of that stuff being refined any more. =20

>Even 20 years ago most of the guys I knew flying R-4360 Pratts were =
using 100/130 octane and limiting manifold pressure to prevent detonation=
because 115/145 was unavailable.

>I don't know what the displacement was on the PT boat engines, but I =
would not be surprised at a fuel consumption of 80 to 100 gallons per =
hour (per engine)!

>I know somebody on the list will have a better memory than mine on this =
subject.
I had hear ed that some use the allison the p51 motor like 2 of them
and some had 6-71 detroit's in them and a differ motor to charge
the starting batt's =20
if i',m all wetted tell me=20

>Gil Huguley, MVPA17957
>Methow, WA, USA
>'53 M37
>

>=3D=3D=3D
PS :don't make fun of my spelling my spell checker cant find them all