Re: [MV] BURMA Jeep

JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:50:56 -0000

Burma jeep is the nickname for the Ford Model GTB 1.5 ton series of trucks.
These were Ford's submission for the 1.5 ton specification of vehicle in
1940. Two primary versions were made- a cargo version w/ and w/o winch,
and a bomb truck which was standard for the USN. Ford also made a
submission which looks similar to the GTB for the 3/4 ton class. That was
called the GLJ. The GTB was powered by the 2GT 6 cylinder flat head, 216
cubic inch. Four speed unsynchronised transmission, two speed transfer
case. A few of its parts were interchangeable with the Ford GP. There is
a photo of the cargo truck version at the bottom of the page:

http://home.fia.net/~selliot/mv1.html

The GTB was not adopted by the Army, and was used as limited standard by
the USN. I think the army got rid of it for one reason. The passenger sat
on the right fender, looking straight at the drive, not facing forward. I
think I'd get weirded out about that!

But I still want one. I used to have a cargo, but traded it off. I now
have a basket case Bomb Truck: I am looking for an engine, radiator, PTO,
and Cargo bed for a Ford GTB, and also a complete truck, if one appears.

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com