Re: RE [MV] Ford V8 distributor tuning

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:35:02 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr Deuce 264-0909 <keith@apache.ENET.dec.com>
To: @sky <"mail11:;;;;@us2rmc.zko.dec.com"@us2rmc.zko.dec.com;;;>
Cc: keith@apache.ENET.dec.com <keith@apache.ENET.dec.com>
Date: 05 August 1998 12:14
Subject: RE [MV] Ford V8 distributor tuning

>Ford had a better idea...
>
>The dist looks like a small divers helmet. They had a machine which would
act
>as the drive for the dist so that you could adjust the points.
>
>Because the dist is driven directly from the end of the camshaft. it is
located
>under the generator and fan and betweent eh water pumps. Not too easy to
adjust
>while on the vehicle.
>
>You should be able to remove the dist from the vehicle and adjust the
points by
>moving the shaft (like we do with a normal non-windowed dist) with it on
the
>bench.

Hi All,

I think Raphael is referring to the Ford setting tool that aligns the
_second_ set of points with reference to the fixed set as this is a four
lobe distributor on an eight cylinder machine.

My friend nearby has the device, in its original box, they are very rare
objects of substantial proportions and made like a machine tool. It is
possible to do the setting using a milling machine dividing head but quite a
bit of work to arrange for clamping and driving the distributor.

Richard
(Southampton UK)