Re: [MV] anti-stick lube for new mounting of tires

martyn horsfall (martyn.horsfall@imvs.sa.gov.au)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:54:39 +0900

>>A lot of places use the "old fashioned stuff". A little liquid dishwashing
>soap
>>diluted with some water works fine and when it dries it makes the bead
>stick better
>>to the rim, helping to prevent tire spinning on the wheel when using low
>pressure.
>>

>Watch out using that liquid dishwashing stuff, slippery it might be but they
>put in a lot of salt to soften the water and serious corrosion will follow.
>
>The professional products are the best and failing that, lots of Vaseline
>(white petroleum jelly) will do it, and its totally innocuous.

My local tire place also warned me against using dishwasing liquid because
of the salt, however they also said to avoid using vaseline or any other
petroleum based product on tires as they said it can tend to break down the
rubber over time. They said they used vegetable oil or linseed oil.
By the way, thanks for the lead on Simex tires Richard. I still haven't had
time to follow up on it yet.
Martyn
South Australia